On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of this week, statewide leaders and advocates for Expanded Learning Opportunities (ELOs) met in Lincoln to kick off plans for the next year.
ELOs refer to the high-quality after-school, before-school and summer learning opportunities that are proven to narrow the achievement gap. Access to ELOs are critical in bringing at-risk students to the same level of achievement as their peers.
Jeff Cole, of Beyond School Bells, started the conference off by providing the guiding vision for the meeting, and for Nebraska’s ELOs. Other notable speakers over the three-day meeting include:
- Kristin Williams of the Sherwood Foundation
- Anna Wishart of Senator Kolowski’s office
- Rachel Wise, President of the Nebraska Board of Education
- Barb Farho of Mayor Stothert’s office
- Steve Joel, Lincoln Public Schools Superintendent
Conversations revolved around emerging research on ELOs, quality assurance, program funding, STEM integration, bringing community partners to the table and more.